Search This Blog

Saturday, April 4, 2020

Bulletin for Palm Sunday

Invocation
P In the name of the Father and of the T Son and of the Holy Spirit.
C Amen.

Service of the Word

Kyrie LSB 186
C Lord, have mercy upon us.
Christ, have mercy upon us.
Lord, have mercy upon us.

Salutation and Collect of the Day
P The Lord be with you.
C And with thy spirit.

P Let us pray.
Almighty and everlasting God, You sent Your Son, our Savior Jesus Christ, to take upon Himself our flesh and to suffer death upon the cross. Mercifully grant that we may follow the example of His great humility and patience and be made partakers of His resurrection; through the same Jesus Christ, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.

C Amen.

Reading Psalm 31:9–16
9Be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am in distress;
my eye is wasted from grief;
my soul and my body also.
10For my life is spent with sorrow,
and my years with sighing;
my strength fails because of my iniquity,
and my bones waste away.
11Because of all my adversaries I have become a reproach,
especially to my neighbors,
and an object of dread to my acquaintances;
those who see me in the street flee from me.
12I have been forgotten like one who is dead;
I have become like a broken vessel.
13For I hear the whispering of many—
terror on every side!—
as they scheme together against me,
as they plot to take my life.
14But I trust in you, O Lord;
I say, “You are my God.”
15My times are in your hand;
rescue me from the hand of my enemies and from my persecutors!
16Make your face shine on your servant;
save me in your steadfast love!

Holy Gospel John 12:12–19
P The Holy Gospel according to St. John, the twelfth chapter.
C Glory be to Thee, O Lord.

12The next day the large crowd that had come to the feast heard that Jesus was coming to Jerusalem. 13So they took branches of palm trees and went out to meet him, crying out, “Hosanna! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord, even the King of Israel!” 14And Jesus found a young donkey and sat on it, just as it is written,
15“Fear not, daughter of Zion;
behold, your king is coming,
sitting on a donkey’s colt!”
16His disciples did not understand these things at first, but when Jesus was glorified, then they remembered that these things had been written about him and had been done to him. 17The crowd that had been with him when he called Lazarus out of the tomb and raised him from the dead continued to bear witness. 18The reason why the crowd went to meet him was that they heard he had done this sign. 19So the Pharisees said to one another, “You see that you are gaining nothing. Look, the world has gone after him.”

P This is the Gospel of the Lord.
C Praise be to Thee, O Christ.

Apostles’ Creed
C I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
     maker of heaven and earth.

And in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord,
     who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
     born of the virgin Mary,
     suffered under Pontius Pilate,
     was crucified, died and was buried.
     He descended into hell.
     The third day He rose again from the dead.
     He ascended into heaven
     and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty.
     From thence He will come to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit,
     the holy Christian Church,
          the communion of saints,
     the forgiveness of sins,
     the resurrection of the body,
     and the life T everlasting. Amen.

Sermon

The Way God Works
Psalm 31:9-10
9Be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am in distress;
my eye is wasted from grief;
my soul and my body also.
10For my life is spent with sorrow,
and my years with sighing;
my strength fails because of my iniquity,
and my bones waste away.
Strange as it may seem to us, God works on us in our times of grief and sorrow; distress and sighing.

Sure He works on us at all times. When we are happy, healthy and prosperous, we believe that there is God at work to bless us. Thanks be to God.

It seems like that’s the way he should do it. We are inclined to think that since God loves us, of course he wants to be happy, healthy, and prosperous. Therefore, whatever it takes to be happy, healthy, prosperous, this is what we must do, what we must strive for, what we must acquire at all costs.

So then, when we are thrown off our game, when we can’t do the work needed to be prosperous, when our health is in jeopardy or starts to fail. When happiness seems unattainable, we are surprised. What’s God doing?

But actually this is just the thing the Gospel is for. The Gospel, the good news that God saves and forgives sinners because of Jesus, this Gospel is why we love God and continually praise Him. The most praiseworthy thing He has done is taken action when this whole world full of us sinners was in grief and sorrow; distress and sighing because of our iniquity. He sent Jesus to Jerusalem, to the cross, to His death to save us.

Psalm 31 teaches us how to react to difficult times. Don’t fret, don’t be discouraged or desperate. Pray. The Lord helps us in our need. It’s good when He helps us. So we must confess, it is good for us to be in need.
14But I trust in you, O Lord;
I say, “You are my God.”
15My times are in your hand;
rescue me from the hand of my enemies and from my persecutors!
16Make your face shine on your servant;
save me in your steadfast love!
The yearly observance of Holy Week and the meditation on the cross and passion of Jesus reminds us again of how God works. He works with human suffering. He works through the cross.

The disciples and the crowd at Jerusalem on Palm Sunday gave Jesus the praises He deserves. They are a pattern and example for us to follow as they greeted the Savior and King with shouts and songs of Hosanna and praise. But did you catch how this section of John’s Gospel today, makes it sound like the disciples and the crowds didn’t really understand all that was going on. They weren’t considering what might happen to Jesus in Jerusalem in the days ahead. They weren’t noticing the whispering of the Pharisees as they schemed and plotted to take Jesus’ life. They weren’t remembering the promises of old and the predictions of Jesus Himself that the Savior must suffer and die for the sins of the world.

We like them, could stand to benefit from listening to the rest of the story, going with Jesus beyond this happy entry point, through the horror and suffering of Good Friday and on into the new life of Easter on the 8th day.

These days of Holy Week teach us how God works and so they will teach us what we must expect from Him. Let’s not go to Him seeking some therapeutic advice on how we ought to be more healthy, happy, prosperous in this life. Let’s go to Him expecting Him to address our sins, and for the sake of Jesus, removing them and their burden. Let’s go to Him expecting Him to help us in our need, and figuring that He’s the best one to decide how to help us in our needs, whether it be lifting us out of our trouble, which ultimately he will do when He takes us from this world to the next. Or maybe, He will decide to let us remain in the trial and difficulty a while longer so that we have even more reason to hope in His help, trust in His mercy and wait for His deliverance.

Pray Psalm 31 and find peace in saying (verse 14) “But I trust in you, O Lord; I say, “You are my God.” My times are in your hand”.

Pray Psalm 31 and hear the voice of Jesus praying it with you, (verse 9) “Be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am in distress; my eye is wasted from grief; my soul and my body also.” Find strengthening for your faith that Jesus who suffered for us, now suffers with us.

Pray Psalm 31 and take comfort knowing that whether happiness or distress, health or disease, poverty or prosperity, the Lord is answering your prayer: (verse 16) “Make your face shine on your servant; save me in your steadfast love!” Amen.

P The peace of God, which passes all understanding, keep your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
C Amen.

Offertory LSB 192
C Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.
Cast me not away from Thy presence, and take not Thy Holy Spirit from me.
Restore unto me the joy of Thy salvation, and uphold me with Thy free spirit. Amen.

Prayer of the Church
God of our salvation, Your beloved Son entered the holy city on this day to shouts of “Hosanna!” for truly He came in the name of the LORD. Hear us now as we bring to You our prayers on behalf of the Church and of all people in every place,and give us confidence that for the sake of Your only Son, Jesus Christ,You hear us and grant our requests according to Your holy will. Lord, in your mercy
Hear our prayer.

Merciful Lord, grant peace and comfort to the ill and to their families. Defend those men and women of the medical field who are fighting against the virus that is sweeping across the world, and grant them both courage and compassion, knowledge and skill. Sustain President Trump, Governor Reynolds and all public servants in their work to keep and preserve health and commerce. And according to Your wisdom grant a swift cessation to this plague.Lord, in your mercy,
Hear our prayer.

 Lord, heavenly Father, we here remember the sufferings and death of Your dear Son, Jesus Christ, for our salvation.Praising His victorious resurrection from the dead, we draw strength from His ascension before You, where He ever stands for us as our own high priest. Gather us together, we pray, from the ends of the earth to celebrate with all the faithful the marriage feast of the Lamb in His kingdom, which has no end. Graciously receive our prayers, deliver and preserve us,for to You alone we give all glory, honor, and worship, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.
Amen.

Lord’s Prayer LSB 162
P Lord, remember us in Your kingdom and teach us to pray:
C Our Father who art in heaven,
     hallowed be Thy name,
     Thy kingdom come,
     Thy will be done on earth
          as it is in heaven;
     give us this day our daily bread;
     and forgive us our trespasses
          as we forgive those
          who trespass against us;
     and lead us not into temptation,
     but deliver us from evil.
For Thine is the kingdom
     and the power and the glory
     forever and ever. Amen.

Benedicamus LSB 202
A Bless we the Lord.
C Thanks be to God.

Benediction LSB 202
P The Lord bless you and keep you.
The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious unto you.
The Lord lift up His countenance upon you and T give you peace.
C Amen, amen, amen.

442 All Glory, Laud, and Honor
ref All glory, laud, and honor
    To You, Redeemer, King,
To whom the lips of children
    Made sweet hosannas ring.

1 You are the King of Israel
    And David’s royal Son,
Now in the Lord’s name coming,
    Our King and Blessèd One. Refrain

2 The company of angels
    Is praising You on high,
And we with all creation
    In chorus make reply. Refrain

3 The multitude of pilgrims
    With palms before You went;
Our praise and prayer and anthems
    Before You we present. Refrain

4 To You before Your passion
    They sang their hymns of praise;
To You, now high exalted,
    Our melody we raise. Refrain

5 As You received their praises,
    Accept the prayers we bring,
O Source of ev’ry blessing,
    Our good and gracious King. Refrain
Text: Public domain

Acknowledgments
Unless otherwise indicated, Scripture quotations are from the ESV® Bible (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version®), copyright © 2001 by Crossway, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
Created by Lutheran Service Builder © 2018 Concordia Publishing House.

No comments: