Search This Blog

Saturday, March 31, 2012

CreeAnn P. on the Sacrament of the Altar

The Sacrament of the Altar

The Sacrament of the Altar is the body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ. The benefits of the Sacrament are, forgiveness of sins, salvation, and life in Heaven when we die. Anyone who does not believe in the Sacrament is unworthy and unprepared for when Jesus comes again. Our Lord Jesus Christ instituted the Sacrament himself at the Lord’s Supper.

The Sacrament is also called The Lord’s Supper, The Lord’s Table, and Holy Communion, the Breaking of the Bread, The Blessed Sacrament, and The Eucharist. Eucharist comes from the Greek words “giving thanks or thanksgiving”. The Lord Jesus Christ gave thanks at this supper before he was betrayed.

Jesus Christ, who is true God, and true man, instituted this Sacrament. We speak of the “Sacrament of the Altar” because an altar is a place where things were sacrificed. In the Sacrament Jesus gives us His own body and blood for the forgiveness of our sins.

The holy Evangelists Matthew, Mark, Luke, and St. Paul wrote: Our Lord Jesus Christ on the night when he was betrayed, took bread, and when He had given thanks, He broke it and gave it to the disciples and said: “Take, eat; this is my body, which is given for us for the forgiveness of all our sins, This do in remembrance of Me.”

Jesus’ crucifixion is important to me because it means all my sins are forgiven, I will go to Heaven and I am safe from the Devil, but not his temptation, except for in Heaven.

We drink Jesus’ blood and eat his body in remembrance of Him, and his Sacrament. And during Lent we have Communion every Sunday and any other time we only have it on the 1st, 3rd, and 5th Sunday on the months that have 5 Sunday’s. The visible elements in the Sacrament are bread and wine. “The Fruit of the Vine” in the Bible means wine, not grape juice. The bread and wine in the Sacrament are Christ’s blood and body not just regular food and drink.

Throughout my Confirmation classes I have learned that you have to work to get confirmed and to receive Communion. I did have a good time reading about, and memorizing things in the Bible and in the small Catechism. And I also learned that the wine in Communion doesn’t taste that great. Also, that there is a lot more information in the Bible and Catechism than I had thought before I went to Confirmation classes.

The Sacrament depends on Christ’s Word not on our faith. The Sacrament, Christ gives victory over sin, hell, and gives strength for the new life in Him.

Because of this I now feel that I am closer to God and that I know Him more.

No comments: