Search This Blog

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Trey H on the Lord’s Prayer

The Lord’s Prayer is not a prayer to be just said but is meant to be focused on what the words mean and believe their meaning in my heart. When asked why I should pray, I know that God wants us to be close to Him at all times and will hear my prayers and answer them. He wants me to pray together with others in His name and in private by myself. Matthew 6:5-8 says that when you pray you should pray in your room with the door closed and you will be rewarded by Him answering your prayers as His will and as He knows best. Jesus taught the disciples to pray and has taught me to pray the Lord’s Prayer.

First He invites me to believe He is our Father and we are His children and I may ask Him anything without being afraid. In the first petition “Hallowed be Thy name” I ask God to protect me from anyone who leads me away from God’s Holy Word.

The Second Petition tells me that because I believe in Him I will go to heaven and live with Him forever and that I should lead a pure and holy life here on earth. He is the king of power and is king of all things because he rules over all.

As I pray “Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven”, I understand that He is protecting me from the devil, the world, and our sinful nature. As well, He will help me be strong and firm in His Word until I die. We pray for ourselves that God’s will, will be done. He wants me to repent and believe in Him.

Next we ask “Give us this day our daily bread,” meaning that He will provide for all my needs to satisfy my body and my soul.

I know that I sin every day and deserve nothing but punishment but in the fifth petition, we ask that God wouldn't hold our sins against us or because of our sins that he won't refuse to hear our prayer. I in turn will gladly forgive and do good to those who sin against me.

God leads us away from temptation and guards us from being tempted by the devil, the world, and our sinful nature. We need God to keep us from being attacked by these things and pray that we can defeat these temptations and win.

We pray “But deliver us from evil.” This means when our last hour comes he will take us from this sinful world to himself in heaven. We will live with him for eternity.

Kingdom is also known as heaven. Power means he rules over us. Forever and ever means we will live with him in heaven forever and ever. I will remember for the rest of my life to pray the way God taught me to. In Matthew 7:7 I will remember “ Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.”

No comments: